The South Metro Small Business Development Center understands how confusing and overwhelming the prospect of opening your own business can be. Many first-time entrepreneurs have an idea for a company, however they are unsure what steps need to be taken, and in what order. Our consultants and staff are here to assist you every step of the way.
For first-time small business owners, we recommend the following:
- Attend the workshops in our Business Start-Up Series. Classes in the series include Business Start-Up Basics, Business Plan Basics, Cash Flow Fundamentals, and Marketing Fundamentals. These workshops will assist you in getting your business off the ground. This includes registration, licensing, legal structure, and tax issues. We will also cover the basics of writing a business plan, tracking business finances, and building your market and client base. To see when these classes are being held and to register, please visit our Workshops & Events Calendar.
- Read the Colorado Business Resource Guide. Created by federal and state business assistance agencies and private sector partners, this comprehensive guide provides information on Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEIN)(Form SS-4), industry-specific licensing information, Colorado Business Registration (Form CR100), Trade Name Registration, sales tax, legal structure, and more. The Colorado Business Resource Guide can be viewed online, or you can pick-up a copy at the SBDC office.
- There are a number of great resources online that can help you start and run a successful small business. Government agencies, non-profit organizations, private companies, and news publications offer guides, services, information, news, and more. To view some of the sites we recommend go to the Business Resource Links page of our website.
- Read through the Business Resources Flyer-2013 to learn what basic steps you will need to take to get your business up-and-running.
- Helpful links and information about Colorado Sales Tax in two publications from the Colorado Department of Revenue: www.colorado.gov/revenue | www.colorado.gov/revenueonline
Colorado Sales and Use Tax Rates | Colorado Sales and Use Tax General Information